What
image
  • A&E
  • Dining
  • Historical
  • Outdoors
  • Shopping
Where
image
image

Buckholts Brethren Church

 

Be the first to review
As early as 1848, Bohemian and Moravian
immigrants of the Unity of the Brethren faith
arrived in Texas. The Protestant denomination
began with Czech reformer John (Jan) Hus, and
when Buckholts residents held their first
Brethren services in 1894, they used the Czech
language. The Rev. Adolph Chlumsky led the first
services for the group, which in 1907 formally
organized the Czech Moravian Church. Members
built a wooden sanctuary at this site in 1913
and used it until dedicating a new structure in
1951, around which time the church began holding
services in English. In 1959, the congregation
changed its name to Buckholts Brethren Church.
It continues to serve as a community focal
point.