What
image
  • A&E
  • Dining
  • Historical
  • Outdoors
  • Shopping
Where
image
image

Stockton Family Cementery Claimed

 

Be the first to review

The Stockton Family Cemetery is located on land originally granted in 1859 by Texas governor Hardin R. Runnels to Moses Allen, a veteran of the Siege of Bexar. Douglas Hayden Stockton and his wife Mary Elizabeth (White) brought their family to Bell County in 1870. With partner J.O. Darby, the Stocktons purchased over 1,200 acres of the Moses Allen land grant that year. The Stocktons soon built a residence near this site. This cemetery was established in April 1890 upon the death of the Stocktons’ fifteen-year-old son, Simion Carothers Stockton. Years later, on December 15, 1908, Douglas and Mary Elizabeth Stokton legally designated this property as a family cemetery. The cemetery, which contains over eighty graves and is still in use by the Stocktons’ descendants, documents over one hundred years of family history. Those interred here include Douglas and Mary Elizabeth Stockton and twelve of their fourteen children; Ead White, a former slave who remained with the family after the Civil War; numerous children and infants; and three family members who drowned in a hurricane in Corpus Christi in 1919. (1991)